CALAT Croydon Adult Learning and Training

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)


Would you like to improve your English? CALAT offers courses in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).

These courses are for people who are settled in the UK to gain English language skills and work towards nationally recognised qualifications.

Our qualified teachers will help you with your English for everyday life. You will study in a friendly, safe environment, meet new friends, gain confidence and learn employability skills.

We can help you get the most out of living in the UK. Improving your English can help you continue your studies at college or university, improve your job prospects, or move on to a vocational course.

Free courses and financial support

ESOL classes are free for asylum seekers, learners seeking employment and receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), ESA (WRAG) or other means-tested benefits.

ESOL classes are also free for those living in London who earn below £20,962 per year. If you live outside London, classes are free if you earn less than £17,004 per year.

We also offer a substantial discount on our fees for those with household income less than £27,000.

In some cases, we are also able to help with childcare costs.


We offer classes at these levels:

  • Pre-entry (beginners)
  • Entry 1, Entry 2 and Entry 3
  • Level 1 and Level 2 Functional Skills
  • Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2

How to enrol

Call into our Central Croydon (Clock Tower) or Thornton Heath centres for an assessment and enrolment appointment. 

We have the following appointments available:

Croydon Clocktower:

  • This will be updated when we have new dates available.

Strand House:

  • Monday 3rd April 10am
  • Tuesday 4th April 1.30pm

New Addington:

  • This will be updated when we have new dates available.

You will need your passport or other proof of ID. We also require proof of settlement status or asylum application.